The Key differences between eLearning and Distance Education
In the words of Albert Einstein, ‘Education is not the learning of facts but the training of the mind to think.’
We know the significance of education in our day-to-day life, both at personal level as well as professional level. Education is a powerful tool to bring necessary changes in society which serves as an important aspect for overall (wholesome) growth and development.
Kurt Lewin has rightly put it, ‘Learning is more effective when it is active rather than a passive process.’
Before stepping into the differences, let’s look at the two forms of individual learning. They seem to be equivalent in terms of learning process but have subtle differences.
E- learning is the concept of learning which has become prominent in the recent days. It has become more friendly especially during the corona pandemic, bringing a drastic change in the system of education, all around.
eLearning, involving management, teachers, students, parents or guardians, is a methodology of learning content incorporated with the latest technologies of digitalization, taken up online.
In distance learning, it is quite different when compared to e-learning platforms in certain aspects.
It is similar to the traditional learning in classrooms, but the student need not always have to be physically present in class.
One can gain access to such courses from anywhere in the world and is preferably meant for those who find it hard to attend campus- based full time courses.
Here are the 5 major differences to understand better /distinguish between both types of learning:
1. Interactivity: Both the learning platforms are quite flexible.
E-learning is a new trend of learning which includes more advanced features in comparison with distance learning.
- eLearning has various multimedia features making the entire learning process interesting and interactive, with classes being online.
- eLearning provides space for immediate feedback and queries along with course materials, track records, dashboard, assignment activity details and simultaneously connecting with teachers and other students, without disturbing the decorum, whereas, in distance learning it only engages a teacher and particular student solely dependent on students’ pace.
2. Commuting: Both the learning formats are convenient and avoids commuting long distances.
- E-learning has a local setting
- Distance learning has global reach and allows higher education even in remote areas. Sometimes students might have to visit their educational institutions for submissions or giving tests.
- eLearning tracks records, notifies pending tasks or assignments, provides advanced analytics. It is designed in such a way that students can access learning material and instructions anytime anywhere on smart devices.
- Distance learning on the other hand, has a definite time frame, but, is difficult for students who find trouble with managing deadlines as it incurs self-motivated learning.
4. Learning space and materials:
- E-learning requires careful planning and implementation, specific instruction and is convenient for learners. The Course development and management is easier here. Lectures are also made meaningful as it uses certain apps to create this form of learning.
For companies it is more useful as it provides easily grasping materials.
- For distance learning, the learning material is in the print format usually and the learning space is confined to the learning premises.
5. Cost effective: As there’s no commuting, a lot of time and money is saved whether distance or e-learners.
- Course fees are comparatively less for e- learning than distance learning as it provides high level degree courses consisting of high fees but not more than traditional campus based-learning.
- E-learners are exempted from printing materials as the materials are available online and can personally research unlimited content otherwise.
Both eLearning and Distance learning formats are equally good and pro-engaging platforms while delivering unique learning courses. E-learning has more future scope with expanded view of learning whereas distance learning has more detailed materials with limited qualified courses. There is a common notion and belief, for those who make a comparison between the two. Yet no more a prevalent constraint, both on different levels, play a significant role in bridging the gaps of learning and connect closely with the instructor and student, in the process of learning.
mPowero is a mobile first, recommended solution to address pressing problems of education industry ( various learning formats), as it provides enriched opportunities in providing quality e-learning which are broad, simpler and easy to adapt, for enhancing learning experiences from anywhere, accessible anywhere.
To understand how we can help you get started with digital learning, mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit us at https://www.mpowero.com/ for more information.
Leave a Reply