Which One is Preferred and Better for Online Learning Needs-LMS or LXP
eLearning is looking at a paradigm shift as corporate learning becomes more customer-centric. An LMS has been a game-changer for organizational training. Like all innovations, however, the time has come to usher in the Next Gen and future-proof LXP.
An emerging technology has cropped up which promises better learning and training outcomes- LXP. What is an LXP, and why is LXP deemed (to be) better than LMS.
Learning Experience Platforms (LXP) Compared To Learning Management Systems (LMS):
Rapid changes and dynamicity are the norms in EdTech space too. Though it is not yet time for the World to say good-bye to learning management systems (LMS), but, it is just that an emerging technology (which is deemed to be an even advanced version of LMS) has cropped up, and promises better learning and training outcomes.
Learning Experience Platforms or LXPs – One doesn’t need to panic and think that LXP might replace existing LMS just yet!
What Is An LXP?
Josh Bersin, the founder of Bersin by Deloitte, a leading provider of research-based membership programs in Human Resources (HR), talent and learning, was the person who coined the term “LXP”.
The genuine (actual to till date) definition of an LXP, provided by Janet Clarey, Lead Advisor, Technology, Analytics, and Learning at Bersin by Deloitte defines LXPs in the following way:
Learning Experience Platforms are single-point-of-access, consumer-grade systems composed of integrated technologies for enabling learning. They can do many tasks, such as curating and aggregating content, creating learning and career pathways, enabling networking, enhancing skill development, and tracking learning activities delivered via multiple channels and content partners. By delivering on a central platform, LXPs enable businesses to provide an engaging and learning-rich experience and may lessen their reliance on an LMS or talent suite as the learning hub.
Simply put together, LXP is an advanced version of LMS with added features.Hence, Learning Experience Platforms complement and enhance the LMS. To put the above-mentioned definition into simpler terms, let’s have a look at the features of an LXP:
- It has a space-age, modern interface, consisting of AI-driven recommendations, panels and mobile interfaces.
- It accommodates all forms of content such as articles, podcasts, blogs, microlearning, videos, and courses.
- It consists of social profiles which connect people to people, as well as content to people, creating good online authority.
- It consists of learning paths which can be tracked to a logical learning outcome.
- It consists of assessments, badges, and certifications.
- It makes it easier for individuals to publish their own content.
- It has a number of pre-loaded learning features along with a great search feature.
- It is mobile, fast and easy to navigate.
Why Is The LXP Being Deemed Better Than The LMS?
The LXP is being deemed better than the LMS by a lot of the authorities in the eLearning industry because:
- The LXP is chock full of features that offer a much more learner-centric approach, putting the learner in the driver’s seat of their learning journey or journeys, the ones happening in the present, as well as the ones going to happen in the future.
- While the LMS is adept at administrating, tracking and reporting on an organization’s training/learning programs, the LXP offers so much more.
- The LMS is still very relevant and will likely continue to be relevant for years to come being the only reason behind is simple – Most organizations can neither afford nor have the time to set up such an avant-garde technology such as LXP (particularly small and medium-sized business enterprises).
- The LXP is still in its nascent stages in the EdTech industry-it is better to wait and watch as patience could be rewarding, given the circumstances. Most likely, the LXP will become affordable in the coming years, or LMS vendors will add features similar to LXPs in their own products.
The Astounding Reason to Choose an LXP: is Seamless Integration
LXP effectively puts into use Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning by seamlessly integrating the authoring tools, with it’s learner-centric models, thus aiming to narrow/close the skills gap in the digital ecospace.
LXP is the software that not only assists learners to align with their goals, but also, is flexible and scalable enabling unique personalized learning and efficient learning outcomes.
a) High Customization:
LMS offers a fixed learning track that has to be followed by the learner which is helpful when the learner has to pick up on theoretical concepts that more or less stay static.
LXP comes handy to learning practical skills, especially ones that are dynamic in nature and require updating, for optimal learning experiences. LXP focuses on interactive learning that is holistic in nature where learners can also add their own content and achieve effective results.
b) Interactive and Collaborative Learning:
LMS offers an individualized learning trajectory which tends to be dull and repetitive thus making learners lose out on peer learning.
With LXP, learners can upload and share content on the platform resulting in a high level of engagement.
c) High Scalability as per the usage and demand:
LMS faces the setback of being a bulky system that cannot be easily adapted as per the training requirements of an organization as LMS suffers when it comes to adaptability and customization, making it tough to scale as per demand.
LXP recognizes the above mentioned challenges of LMS and effectively uses technology to counter the aforesaid problems bringing more efficiency.
d) Fosters User Experience and User Control:
LMS is a closed system where the admin controls all aspects of learning including content and pacing. This facilitator-led learning restricts the freedom of the user and delivers a common learning experience regardless of the learner’s end goal.
LXP places the control in the hands of the user, allowing the learner to add content that is relevant to his learning trajectory. The users also receive recommendations that are personalized based on their interests and goals.
e) Offers Curated Content:
LMS is more or less reduced to being an online catalog that exists to help organizations manage their compliance training. Although it tracks progress and performance, it fails to offer a holistic learning experience.
LXP-all users are content curators making the content highly diverse.LXP goes beyond the scope of what an LMS offers and allows for content that is curated rather than simply aggregated. Plus, with the AI-driven personalization that users associate with multiple platforms, the learning experience is highly targeted and unique.
f) Seamless Integration:
LXP is irrefutably the next step in corporate training.LXP is built to seamlessly integrate with the existing system without much difficulty. It can be easily personalized as per the user’s requirement. Dynamic social features can also be added to make it more collaborative.
A platform that is user-controlled and offers custom-made learning tracks for its users is a revolution in collaborative learning. With tangible benefits for both the organization as well as the individual, an LXP is indeed the evolution that the eLearning ecosystem needed.
mPowerO eLearning Platform is such a tangible solution for online learning/training needs for both individuals (learners) and Corporates.
mPowerO offers the best advice if you are struggling to choose an Online Training Platform for your Corporate Training needs.
mPowerO provides continuous support and is an end-to-end offering to your Online Training requirements.